Monday, March 23, 2020

#MicroblogMondays: The Pandemic Project

I stumbled onto an intriguing site while on Facebook yesterday (via the page of Rona Maynard, a Canadian writer/journalist I have long admired)(she's the sister of Joyce Maynard, the novelist/memoirist whose "Looking Back" is one of the books that has most influenced my own life & writing). Researchers at the University of Texas have embarked on a study of how everyday lives are being affected during the COVID-19 pandemic, and how people are coping.

The Pandemic Project is looking for volunteers to complete a 10-15 minute online questionnaire about how they are responding to the current coronavirus outbreak. At the end of the survey questionnaire, you get scores in certain categories and suggestions on coping strategies (which can be emailed to you.)

This was interesting.

I scored 6.2 on Social Connection, which is average. Dh & I are pretty socially isolated even in non-COVID times -- being retired while the rest of the world works (or at least many of our family members and friends), for one thing...! -- but he speaks with his brother on the phone just about every day, and I'm in constant contact with lots of friends online (even if it is just to like or share or comment on their posts on social media).

I also scored 6.2 on Healthy Habits categories, which is average. "Your life style is generally good but there is still room for improvement," my results say.  Ummmm....  ;)  We definitely could be getting out to walk & stretch our legs more (again, even pre-COVID). We've had the excuse of winter weather for the past several months, and lots of construction around us for the past few years -- but those excuses have mostly vanished with the end of construction and the advent of spring. (Although I woke up to snow AGAIN this morning...!)

My Anxiety & Distress score is 6.6, also within average range. "Your score suggests that you have some anxiety and distress about the outbreak which makes sense. [No sh**, Sherlock...] In the weeks ahead, if your distress increases, there are a number of actions you can take."

My Covid Obsession score, however, was 10 (!!).  "Watching or reading too much news about the coronavirus is bad for your health," my results say (boldface theirs!).  What can I say, I'm a media junkie... but I guess it's time to turn off the TV/screen for a while...!  (And maybe pick up a book, which I haven't done since this whole situation began unfolding.)

Did you take the quiz?  What did you learn from your results?

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.  

5 comments:

  1. I'm laughing at your COVID Obsession score. Yes, that's been me too. It's hard to ignore, because everyone is posting the same or similar articles. (Though it does always do my heart good if a blogging friend in Canada or the US posts an article, and then one of my ectopic friends in the UK posts the same thing. I am surrounded - virtually at least - by good people with similar hearts.)

    I've decided to try not to listen to my news radio station. But right now there's a psychologist talking about the uncertainty factor, and that's useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I just did it, and found my Obsession score was about half yours! Step away from the screen. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I don't know if I want to take this quiz, it might tell me things I don't want to hear! :) I definitely agree that constant news-checking is not good, I've cut back considerably and feel way better about things. A little head-in-the-sand, but a lot less OH MY FREAKING GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIIIIIEEEEEE. Reading is good, but I'm finding I don't have the focus I used to and my brain is scattered from all the stress. But it does help to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I did it... I got a 10 for Social Connection, a 6 for Obsession, a 10 (!) for healthy habits (and I was honest about sleeping and alcohol consumption!), and 7.7 (high) for anxiety. This was fascinating! I don't regret taking it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this resource! I found the free-write interesting, as I sorted through my own thoughts.

    I'm going to share this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete