Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Odds & ends: The coronavirus edition

  • It never rains but it pours:  After a long winter with a lot of sitting around the house, I had not just one but TWO last-minute invitations for the same day this week, from two different friends from "back home" who were in town. One for lunch, and one for a concert. 
    • I reluctantly turned both invitations down... for several reasons, but a BIG one being that travelling downtown on the subway right now, and being a crowded concert hall in close quarters with several hundred other people, doesn't seem like a great idea at the moment, with COVID-19 lurking around... (I didn't say so when declining the invite... just said it was a busy week & not good timing.) 
    • (Also, having turned down one invitation, could I really in good conscience accept the other?) 
    • I really want to say "yes" more often to more things, especially things that get me out of the house... but sometimes "no" is just a whole lot less complicated...!  
  • We did go to the local mall for some shopping, walking and lunch as usual on Tuesday morning (midweek, right in time for opening = generally less crowded, which is a good thing, even without coronavirus considerations). There were still plenty of people around -- but it was noticeably less busy than it usually is at that time of the day & week. 
  • Next week is spring break for Ontario schools, and the Friday before spring break week is usually the busiest travel day of the year. It will be very interesting to see (a) what this year's travel volumes are like and (b) how much busier the local stores & malls will be (or not), even if more people stay home this year. 
    • I know at least two people who still plan to head off for Caribbean vacations shortly with their families. 
  • Next week was also supposed to be the world figure skating championships in Montreal -- something I always look forward to watching on TV.  (I even thought about going this year... until I got a look at the ticket prices!!). Unfortunately, the Quebec government has stepped in and cancelled the event. :(   Social isolation is one thing, but NOW what do I watch while I sit around the house next week??  (lol) 
  • Pearl Jam postponed their North American tour because of COVID-19. They were supposed to be here next week, on March 18th. I didn't have tickets (I'm slightly outside their demographic, lol), but SIL & I have tickets to see Elton John at the end of the month. I guess we'll see how things shake out, but right now, it's not looking good... I'm even more glad now that I made the trip to see him last fall with my sister!  

1 comment:

  1. It's weird watching what is happening around the world. We're still going out, as there haven't been any cases spread in the community here. Yet. But that hasn't stopped people buying toilet paper! Despite the fact that it is the last thing NZ will run out of, given that we make it here. lol

    I'm sorry you're not going to get to watch the figure skating. Maybe watch the movie Tonya again on Netflix? lol

    Our stock market crashed this morning again, following the US of course, and so it is all very disturbing in terms of our retirement savings!

    ReplyDelete