Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Odds & ends

  • Thank you for your well wishes on yesterday's post about feeling under the weather (during a global pandemic, no less...!).  Throat is still a bit sore, but overall, I'm feeling better. 
  • Dh went to the local supermarket early yesterday morning for more milk (and anything else he could scrounge up). He did get the milk, and a few other things -- including some cereal, some coffee and the last two chicken pot pies in the freezer case -- but reported the shelves were generally pretty bare. He later went to a smaller grocery store nearby that specializes in Italian foods (lots of imports) & had more success there (including toilet paper! & cans of his favourite beans).  He's out (again) this morning for a few more items on our wish list, and anything else useful he might run across. (He claims he's OK with being cooped up at home, but I'm not so sure about that, lol...) 
    • Please tell me I'm not the only one who's suddenly become hyper-aware of how much toilet paper I'm consuming (counting out squares for each use)?? For a society that's so used to abundance and convenience, this has been an eye-opener, I think... 
  • Yesterday, the prime minister announced Canada is banning entry to most non-residents because of the pandemic (American are still OK, for now...). For those currently outside the country, the PM delivered an unequivocal message:  "It's time for you to come home." Those returning from abroad are being asked to self-quarantine for 14 days. 
    • I know a few people who, despite the deteriorating situation, still headed for the Caribbean for spring break last week (with small children in tow). I hope they all get back all right -- but seriously, I don't understand why they still went ahead with their trips in the first place?? 
    • (I sure hope they were well stocked with toilet paper and other groceries before they left... they may be in for a rude awakening when they do return...!) 
  • Yesterday morning, SIL & I finally got the (completely expected) news that Elton John has postponed many of his upcoming concerts, including the show we were supposed to attend on March 29th. The tickets will still be good for new dates TBA for 2021.   
  • On the ALI/CNBC front:  Lisa at Life Without Baby has announced that after 10 years, she’ll be stepping back from the blog & community she created… she’ll be maintaining the site, but closing the community forums on April 10th, and she won't be posting regularly after Mother's Day (May 11th). :(  Please go over and thank her for everything she's done for our childless-not-by-choice community. 
  • Don't forget I will be giving away a free, autographed copy of the new edition of Jody Day's classic book for the childless-not-by-choice community, "Living the Life Unexpected." Want to win?  Leave a comment to that effect here. I will be drawing the winner's name this Friday, March 20th! 

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I am totally counting squares! I have a nervous stomach, and as the week progressed I found myself in the bathroom, umm, frequently, and I was like COME ON!!!! I need to conserve this paper! Ha ha.

    I cannot believe that people went away for spring break. That's an interesting thought though, that they'll come back to a dearth of supplies. I really think there were (are) so many people in denial about the severity of this, and those actions have made it worse. Sigh.

    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete