Monday, October 17, 2022

#MicroblogMondays: Encore??

Almost exactly three years ago (late October 2019), I was eagerly counting down and strategizing how to get my hands on tickets to a performance of a touring production of the Broadway musical "Hamilton," which was coming to Toronto in early 2020. "Score!!"  I posted triumphantly on this blog on Oct. 28th, having landed a pair of tickets to a matinee performance on May 9th, 2020 -- the Voldemort/Mother's Day weekend, no less!  

Well, we all know what happened in between... just a few weeks after "Hamilton" made its Toronto debut in February 2020, the production was shut down -- along with just about everything else -- when the COVID-19 virus reared its ugly head. By April, all remaining performances had been cancelled. I was granted a credit for my tickets, with the promise of first dibs on new tickets, if/when the production returned at a future date (or for any other production by Mirvish, the theatre company, which owns several major venues in Toronto). (It was also possible to apply for a refund -- albeit I heard anecdotal evidence that this was easier said than actually done...!)  

In August 2021, I learned that "Hamilton" WOULD be returning! -- in February -- 2023 (!). That seemed like a LONG way off. "SURELY we'll be done with COVID-19 by then??" I mused, hopefully. (If only, right??)  

The play's return was confirmed in June this year, and I wrote then: 

I wish I was as excited by this news as I was three years ago.  I'm not. :(  I love theatre and I would love to see "Hamilton" -- someday....  But it's sure a different world than when I first got the tickets.  Dh was never as enthusiastic as I was to begin with, and I can't imagine he'll feel any differently now...!  I have to admit, I'm considering whether I should just ask for a refund (like I did for Elton John). Who knows what the covid situation will be like by February? (could be better, could be worse...) -- and covid or not, it's a long subway ride downtown. Sigh.  :(  

Last week, I got an email from Mirvish Productions, confirming the return dates (Feb. 22-May 14, 2023). Tickets will go on sale to the general public on Nov. 21st -- however: 

You were a ticket holder who had their performance cancelled and you retained money from the tickets as an account credit. This entitles you to an exclusive priority window to purchase tickets, beginning Monday, October 17. 

I asked dh what he thought. "Do you WANT to see 'Hamilton'?"  he asked me. "Well -- yeah!"  I said. "So -- let's go!"  he said.  I know he personally doesn't really care whether he sees it or not (although he will almost certainly enjoy it once he's there!), but he wants to make me happy (and that's why I love him, lol).  

Ideally, I would like to see "Hamilton" without covid breathing down our necks (literally and figuratively)... but I know that's not going to happen anytime soon. We will be masked (even if others in the theatre are not);  we will be as fully vaccinated as possible... conditions are probably as ideal as they're going to get for the next while.  

And so -- once more, unto the breach...!  

We got back from our trip to see my parents last night, and I set the alarm clock to make sure I was up by about 8... woke up around 7, got up, showered, had my breakfast & tea and entered the virtual waiting room around 9 a.m. When the window opened at 10 a.m., I was randomly assigned #3387 in line (versus #5382 the first time around), with an estimated wait time of "more than an hour." After 2.5 hours in the queue, I finally got into the website around 12:30 p.m. I got us two tickets for the afternoon matinee performance on Sunday, April 2nd, orchestra level, about halfway back, right in the centre. Sounds pretty good.  :)  (After Ontario spring break, just before Easter.)  Now to wait the not quite six months until then, and hope for the best...! 

As I said in June, I wish I felt as excited today as I was three years ago. I'm (still) not. I'm not at all confident the covid situation will be any better by then... but at some point (after nearly 2.5-3 years of extreme caution), I guess you have to take some calculated risks, mitigate them as much as you can, and get out there to (try to?) enjoy yourself now & then. (I feel slightly less nervous about the prospects of sitting in a modern theatre (the Princess of Wales, built in 1993) with 2,000 other people versus the Elton John concert in a packed, closed-roof stadium with 40,000..!) 

Wish us luck! 

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you got the tickets. We recently went to a show with about 3000 people (indoors), and - after we'd finished the bottle of bubbly! - we wore our masks, even though we could only see one other person doing it! That was two weeks ago, and we seem to have got through that without difficulty. I wasn't that excited about going - but once I was there, I absolutely loved it. Maybe more so because there had been a degree of apprehension. I'm sure you'll feel the same with Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOH! That is so exciting! How lovely to get an exclusive window. We have a traveling company (wonder if it is the same) coming through as well, and every time I tried to get tickets it would lie and say they were available and then when I clicked "purchase" it would say "I'm sorry, those tickets are no longer available." What BS! After the 4th time I was like, this is not meant to be. :( But I am SO EXCITED for you and your seats sound AMAZING! I'm sure if you're masked with the KN95s you should be fine. Definitely worth the mitigated risk, such a fabulous show. Any seat is a good seat (I went in 2019 and my friend and I had seats literally next to TWO walls, back and right, as far as you could possibly get, and STILL the set design and the production was just phenomenal).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had our local Broadway series subscription for about 6 years. It was of course cancelled in 2020, but came back for this 21/22 season. I have gone to see most of the shows in a K95 mask and have never caught Covid at a show. Of course, I did catch Covid somewhere else around US Labor Day weekend (probably at an autism society event with our son) and ended up having to sell my Hamilton tickets because we were sick *sob*.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Something to look forward to. Hopefully this time is a charm and you'll not be throwing away your | shot.

    ReplyDelete