Tuesday, January 2, 2024

2023 Year in Review

I'm trying something a little different this year from my usual "Year in Review" format (which got to be a little lengthy & repetitive from year to year...!). :)  I found this format/list of questions in the long-gone scrapbooking magazine Creating Keepsakes January/February 2013 issue (!). 

*** *** *** 

1) What was the coolest thing you did or that happened to you last year?

Getting my DNA analyzed was pretty cool. :)  

2)  What major milestone(s) did you or a loved one experience last year?

First and foremost, my brother-in-law had a transplant, with his son (our Older Nephew) donating part of his liver to save his dad's life. That's pretty major!  

Younger Nephew & his wife also welcomed our Little Great-Niece in February.  :)  

And Little Great-Nephew headed off to school this fall (junior kindergarten)!  

3)  What was your favourite celebration last year?

It was great to get together with small and large groups of dh's cousins (on both sides of the family) on several different occasions -- and NOT for funerals!!  (Too many of those in recent years!)  

4)  What was your most memorable holiday of last year, and what made it special?

Christmas with my family is always memorable. I am well aware that my time with my parents is not unlimited, and so I appreciate the opportunity to spend time with them while I can.  (Even when they drive me nuts sometimes...! lol) 

5)  What family vacation or activity was the most memorable, and why?

We had a lovely weekend at dh's cousin's cottage with BIL & SIL, Older Nephew, his wife & Little Great-Nephew -- until Older Nephew revealed he wasn't feeling well, and we had to make a hasty departure.  :(   

6)  What big goal did you or a loved one achieve or work toward last year?

I guess keeping BIL alive and getting him to, through and beyond his transplant operation, was our family's main goal of last year! and I'm so glad that we achieved that! (SIL asked his doctor if he would have survived the year without the transplant.  His answer was "No."  :(  )  

7)  What's something that changed in your life last year?  (something new, a loss, etc.)

We got a new great-niece in February!  We got to spend a lot of time with Little Great-Nephew (providing fill-in child care while SIL took BIL for his various medical appointments). Then he started school (junior kindergarten) in September, and we haven't seen as much of him since then. We miss him!  

8)  What was your favourite movie, book, album or song from last year, and why?

Haven't been to the movies since before the pandemic  :(  and I don't follow music the way that I used to either. I just posted my 2023 Reading Year in Review and as I said there, it's hard to pick one favourite book. A few of the standouts included: 
  • "In Memoriam" by Alice Winn 
  • "Tom Lake" by Ann Patchett 
  • "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus
  • "The Last Devil to Die" by Richard Osman 
  • "Surrender:  40 Songs, One Story" by Bono 
  • "Spare" by Prince Harry 
  • "Wintering" by Katherine May

9)  What world, national or local event or news story affected you most?

The ongoing war in Ukraine, plus the renewed conflict in the Middle East. I am not Jewish nor Muslim/Palestinian, but who can read those stories or see that footage and not be horrified by what has happened??   

The ongoing political instability south of our border (and its effect on the political atmosphere in my own country) is unsettling. I am NOT looking forward to the coming year in American politics...! 

Closer to home, I am sickened by our provincial government's determination to raze and move the landmark Ontario Science Centre (where dh spent hours & hours as a kid), and to redevelop the prime parkland/public space of Ontario Place, including moving a downsized version of the Science Centre there and adding a luxury spa with a massive underground parking garage (!). Dozens of trees, carefully chosen & planted by the original site developers more than 50 years ago, have already been removed.  In general, the indiscriminate destruction of designated greenbelt lands, heritage buildings and well-established neighbourhoods in the pursuit of growth (and development dollars) was a disturbing feature of the past year.  

10)  What life lesson did you or a family member learn and take to heart last year?

Life is short, and tomorrow is not promised. I am more aware of this with each passing year...! 

2 comments:

  1. Your lesson is one that I keep learning, too. I'm with you on Ukraine, the Middle East, and the upcoming year in US politics. :-( So much division.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to family celebrations that are not funerals. I'm definitely with you and LoriLL on international politics. And on green spaces being erased. Grrr. But wholly behind you on #10 as well. We definitely need to appreciate each day - it's a gift I'm very aware of too.

    ReplyDelete