Tuesday, January 23, 2024

No grandkids? (Welcome to my world...)

Last weekend's Globe & Mail had a really interesting -- and intelligent -- article ("Baby boomers are adjusting to a new retirement normal: No grandchildren") and accompanying 21-minute podcast about the growing numbers of would-be grandparents and their childless/free adult children, and the grief some of them are feeling about their lack of grandchildren. (You can find the podcast at the link above, or on any of the major podcast platforms -- it's called The Decibel, Jan. 19th episode.)  The reporter, Zosia Bielski, describes herself as childfree by choice, and has written other interesting articles about population and generational issues. 

I didn't realize it at the time, because I'm a digital-only subscriber, but the article was featured prominently, with the feature photo taking up most of the front page of the Saturday/weekend edition. It's generated a huge amount of reader comments (now closed to further responses).  (As usual, BEWARE THE COMMENTS!) 

The focus is on adult children choosing to be childfree, and their (Boomer) parents' reactions to that choice. There's no mention of the fact that not all boomers are parents to begin with (and thus will never be grandparents either). (Ahem!)(Late-stage Boomer/early GenXer here...!)  

But (surprisingly! and happily) our "not by choice" segment does get mentioned in both the article and the podcast. Laura Carroll, who literally wrote the book on pronatalism ("The Baby Matrix" -- which I read & reviewed here) and Therese Schecter, who filmed the wonderful documentary "My So-Called Selfish Life" (both childfree by choice), are among those interviewed. 

Part of me was rolling my eyes as I read, thinking, "Oh, boo-frickin'-hoo -- welcome to our world! -- At least you got to be a parent!" -- right? 

But there's a LOT here that will) sound familiar! 

*** *** *** 

There was also a live Q&A with the reporter earlier today (Jan. 23rd). (Beware some of the comments there too...!) 

One reader asked "How are baby boomers who were expecting to fill their time being a grandparent figuring out what to do in their senior years instead?"  I thought Bielski's response was really interesting (particularly the part that I've highlighted in boldface): 

I think baby boomers, as boomers, are primed to change the script and chart their own course. This is an active cohort, a fit cohort, with disposable income and ample opportunities to fill their retired time. It's an adjustment, to be sure, but a necessary one if caregiving for g-kids is no longer in the mix.  

I think it's a uniquely North American question: how do we fill retirement time? Can we imagine Italians grappling with that question? (by the way, Italy registered its fewest babies since 1861 in 2022). 

We have to question why we invest so little in our off time, in the years post-career. Why does retirement terrify so many North Americans -- the "filling of time"? And why is it even more terrifying without grandkids to fill the void? 

These questions are even more relevant as birth rates decline and grandkids aren't a guarantee.

(Dh & I often get asked, "What do you DO all day??"  Dh came up with what I think is the perfect response:  "Whatever we want!"  lol)   

Bielski was also asked (in part)(and I'm itching to correct the spelling errors in the original...! lol):  

I think we have to accept that a new normal has evolved - get married later- decide on the question of children , while consciously deciding if that is the right individual/ couple choice. Looking at other's in our social group, those with adult children who have chosen not to parent are bothered - inflicting their values on their kid's. There are lots of opportunities to use one's grandparenting energy on other youths , why not direct oneself there?

Bielski's response (in part -- boldfaced emphasis mine):  

You're pointing to other opportunities to nurture -- other people, other children. And I think that is gradually coming to pass, in some families. The question is whether the rest of us can expand our thinking, our notions of family and fulfillment, and allow these people their ways of adapting to "new normals."

Yes!   

4 comments:

  1. Forgive me for addressing the unimportant part of this serious post-- but man, I am itching to put in [sic] next to all the errors you're itching to correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh damn, I couldn't read the article. Said my gifted access had expired. Anyway, I liked your summary.
    Anyway, a few things.
    First, boo-fricking-hoo is going to be my new mantra!
    And I know you've referred to DH's response "whatever we want!" before, but it is a good reminder to use that answer if I'm ever asked it.
    "Uniquely North American" conveniently ignored much of the world, including NZ and Australia. I usually roll with it, but not this time! lol We have the same questions and issues.
    Finally, it's interesting that they don't deal with the issues of a mobile population. People might be grandparents, but their grandkids don't necessarily live near them. My in-laws had four sons, but none of their grandkids lived in the same country, let alone province or city. I would have thought this increasingly common, not only in NZ and Australia, but the US/UK etc.
    Argh at the assumption that nonparents or grandparents should nurture other children. Yes, if they love that idea. But there shouldn't be a pressure to do it. So I loved your conclusion - "allow these people their ways of adapting to "new normals."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting! I love the idea of retiring what family and fulfillment means. And I love your response too "what do you DO all day?" This did make be think, because so many who retire from my school building reference taking care of grandchildren as their main impetus.. I also remember my mom violating the Circle of Kvetching and wailing "but I'm grieving too, I'll never have an infant grandchild!" A loss for sure but not one to bring to the person who will never have a child... Fascinating thinky stuff!

    ReplyDelete