"I'd Rather Be Reading" is an extension of both the book and the podcast: 21 chapters/mini-essays about books and reading and loving both, and how to get more out of your reading life. I love books of essays & short stories like this that you can dip in & out of at your leisure -- each essay/chapter complete in itself but thematically linked to the others. Among the topics Bogel writes about:
- literary "sins"
- books that "find" you at just the right time in your life
- books that break your heart
- living next door to the local library
- the book that hooked you on the power of story
- bookshelf envy
- books & real life
- organizing your bookshelves
- being "book bossy"
- familiar bookworm problems
- the readers we have been at different stages of our lives
- reading deadlines
- reading the author's acknowledgements
- coming of age as a reader
- being a bookseller (the fantasy vs the reality)
- book twins
- re-reading books
- "book people" and bookstores
- keeping a reading log
- how our favourite books are windows to our soul
I gave it four stars on Goodreads.
This was the 27th & final book that I read in 2018. I surpassed my 2018 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 24 books by 3 books, or 113%! :)