Monday, January 7, 2019

#MicroblogMondays: The new year starts now!

Mel asked if any of us were having trouble with "re-entry" -- getting back to "normal" life, after the Christmas/New Year holiday period.

Ummm.... yes. As I told her in the comments, I hesitated to respond... after all, as a childless retiree, I didn’t have to plunge back into routines that include commuting, work & children.

But, yeah -- we returned home on Jan. 1st after spending 12 days with my parents over Christmas & New Year’s -- and I've been EXHAUSTED since then -- had no idea what day of the week it was for most of last week, lol.  I love long weekends & holidays (and Christmas is my favourite), but they always throw my internal clock completely out of whack. We didn’t do a whole lot while we were visiting my parents, except sit around the house (too damned cold to go outside much), play cards & eat -- and I can’t really blame jet lag, since there’s only a one-hour time difference. And we haven't done a whole lot since we got back here, either. We went out for brunch, groceries and a few other things the day after we got back, and the stores & restaurants were still packed with parents & kids -- school didn't resume here until today.  As a result, we decided to avoid the malls and stores for another few days. (We did have things to do around the condo that kept us busy for a few days -- laundry, taking down the tree & cleaning up, etc.) 

Anyway, it's Monday. The kids are back in school (yay!), & we were happy to venture out to less-crowded public places this morning, & get back into our usual routine -- which, for Mondays, generally includes lunch (excellent pizza -- tomato sauceless for me) & groceries, followed by a trip to the local Starbucks/mega-bookstore.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the new year actually started today, lol. Here's to 2019, and a return to normalcy. ;) 

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

3 comments:

  1. I return to work full force in a couple of days. For the first time in a long time, I'm not feeling completely unprepared. I feel almost ready to return to the grind. I did venture out today and the roads were less "trafficky" and my favorite store have a number of empty checkout lines. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I of course can relate, being unemployed/semi-retired childless. But we got back from our two weeks away (which were fabulous) ready for a rest. But we still had in-laws visiting from overseas, so it has only been this week that I've felt more relaxed. Which might explain why I binge-watched something all yesterday afternoon!

    Because so much of the country here is still on (their summer) holiday, I still feel that I'm on holiday too. As far as I am concerned, the New Year starts only about the end of January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's strange - I worked my usual schedule but still wound up feeling "off" after all the holidays! I hear you about feeling like the new year really started today - it is truly the first day where all the routines are really normal again.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete