Monday, January 21, 2019

#MicroblogMondays: Blue Monday

I've been feeling just a little bit "blah" the last few days. Christmas is long over... my birthday is over.

We were housebound for most of the weekend:  there was a snowstorm on Saturday... and although the skies were much clearer & sunnier for most of Sunday, temperatures remained bitterly cold (like, -17C & -29C windchill at the peak of the afternoon sun... that's 2F & -20F for those of you in the States!).  It didn't help that one of my high school friends was posting photos on social media of margaritas on a sunny beach in Mexico...!

Before the weekend, on Friday night, we attended a funeral visitation for a 70-year-old woman (a relative of a relative) who died in a tragic car accident earlier in the week (caused by some young idiot driving at twice the posted speed limit -- at 7 a.m.!!)(truly, the drivers hereabouts are THE WORST  :p  ).

Because of the weather, anytime we do get out of the house these days, it's generally to someplace indoors -- quite often, the bookstore, the supermarket or the mall (although we did take a trip last week to the well-known local art gallery where I have a membership to view an exhibit that was wrapping up).  At the malls, the clearance racks are getting pretty picked over, but there's not a lot of cool new stuff arriving yet to fill the stores. I've been finding it difficult to get into a new book.

And then I realized: today is Blue Monday. (And of course, February, my least-favourite month, is just around the corner...!)  Well, I guess that explains it (at least partly...!)...

(Previous Blue Monday posts here.)

Is it a Blue Monday for you?  What's your favourite mid-winter pick me up? 

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.  

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh, that makes so much sense! This is a lovely anniversary for me, but I still feel kind of blah and like I am having a real hard time getting motivated. It's also fricking freezing, and I need to go run to the grocery, so the procrastination runneth rampant. Although I did feel the urge to clean today and mopped all the floors and cleaned glass and mirrors and a bathroom. I am struggling with January this year, and feel just drained and exhausted.

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your relative relative, that is horrible.

    Hopefully the rest of this month is better and gives you sustenance to make it through February. Sending you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm really not able to comment on this - given that I can't imagine those temperatures for week after week. But I think we all have Blue Mondays from time to time. Maybe go have a nice massage or facial or manicure or something as a mid-winter treat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did have a manicure & pedicure last week on my birthday! Both painted a nice brilliant, sparkly shade of teal blue-green. :) I haven't had a facial in quite a while, though... hmmm... ;)

      Delete
  3. That is COLD! Yikes.

    These tips are for people with SAD which isn't you, but I actually thought some of these ideas are great for everyone in the winter. I love the idea of using my hands more: I'm cooking more this month, which I guess qualifies. And I love the box idea. https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomvellner/seasonal-affective-disorder-tips-advice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember cold days like these, where everything felt frozen within minutes of stepping outside. It makes winter very hard when you can’t really be outdoors.

    Hoping the rest of the week has been better

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's flipping COLD.

    This is a blues time of year for me, too. My birthday is near the holidays, and this is the deep winter, which is both too dark and too cold for me.

    I'm especially sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your relative's relative. That's enough to make any color month blue.

    ReplyDelete