Monday, May 17, 2021

"The Windsor Knot" by S.J. Bennett

I love a good "cozy" mystery, and I'm a fan of the British Royal family (the Queen in particular). So I was predisposed to enjoy "The Windsor Knot" by S.J. Bennett. (Also: It was also recommended by a good friend -- and I bought it on discount at the local mega-bookstore, before our most recent lockdown kicked in.)  

As one of the back-cover blurbs describes it, it's kind of like a cross between Agatha Christie's Miss Marple and "The Crown," ;) with Her Majesty in the role of detective. :)  

In the spring of 2016, Queen Elizabeth II is at Windsor Castle, getting ready to celebrate her 90th birthday, when an overnight guest is found dead in his room. Initially it's thought to be an accidental suicide (with some kinky overtones); it quickly becomes a murder investigation. Of course, MI5 and Scotland Yard have got nothing on ERII, who enlists the help of her young assistant private secretary, Rozie, to make discreet enquiries on her behalf. 

Poignantly, Prince Philip makes several appearances throughout the book (as do the corgis! and plenty of horses).

As with another recent mystery I read, "The Thursday Murder Club" (reviewed here), I sped through this book with a growing sense of exhilaration. (Just go with the flow and enjoy it.) (I would love to know if Her Majesty has read it too, lol.) It sounds like this is the first book in a planned series. I'm already looking forward to more! 

4 stars on Goodreads.

This was Book #28 read to date in 2021 (and Book #5 finished in May), bringing me to 78% of my 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 36 books. I am (for the moment, anyway...!) 15 books ahead of schedule. :)  You can find reviews of all my books read to date in 2021 tagged as "2021 books." 

No comments:

Post a Comment