Saturday, October 31, 2020

My blog is a teenager :)

(Taking my cue from Lori's "Not So Unlucky 13" post, back in May!)  :)  

October 31, 2007
  • I was 46 years old, married for 22 years. 
  • I was in my 21st year of working in the corporate communications department of one of Canada's major banks. (Dh worked for the same bank too.)  
    • We spent 2+ hours (round trip) commuting (by car & commuter train, door to door to door) to and from work ever day. 
    • October 31st was year-end for my company, with results reported in late November/early December. My department was in charge of all non-financial aspects of the annual report, and October through late January was generally the busiest and most stressful time of the year for us. 
  • We had been living in a smallish three-bedroom house with a big back yard in a pleasant suburb near Toronto for 17 years. We thought we would be there for a few years & then move up to something larger as our family expanded...  
  • Our two nephews were 19 & 15 years old. 
  • It was 9 years after the stillbirth of our daughter, Katie, and 6 years since our last fertility treatment. The 10-year "anniversary" of her loss was looming large in my mind, and I found myself thinking a lot about her and what had happened. 
  • We'd been facilitating the local chapter of a pregnancy loss support group for 7 years, after spending more than a year there as clients ourselves. 
  • I'd been posting & lurking on several online forums for pregnancy loss, infertility and even a (very) few that I'd found for childless-not-by-choice women. And I'd recently discovered blogs -- including Stirrup Queens and Coming2Terms. I was intrigued, and posted a few tentative comments.
  • On Halloween night, I held my breath & hit "publish" on my own very first blog post
October 31, 2020:   
  • I will be 60 on my next birthday (!) and we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary this past summer. 
  • I was "reorganized" out of my job in July 2014 (at age 53) and took early retirement when my severance ran out. Dh lost his job in April 2013 and did the same. An earlier-than-expected retirement for both of us, but we have not regretted it!  
  • Four years ago, we sold our house of unfulfilled dreams, downsized our belongings and moved into a condo in another suburb on the other side of the city, closer to dh's brother and his family. 
  • Our two nephews are grown up (ages 31 & 28) and married to two lovely young women. One has a son of his own, who will turn one year old, a few weeks from now. :) We love being an aunt & uncle (and now a great-aunt & great-uncle!)!  (It's NOT a substitute for parenting -- but still pretty cool on its own terms...!) 
  • Katie would be 22 years old (!). I still think of her every day. (And we still visit her at the cemetery every time we are back in our old neighbourhood.)
  • We stopped facilitating the pregnancy loss support group in late 2009, but remain in touch with many of the friends we made there. I am still active in several online forums for childless-not-by-choice women. 
  • We're currently living in the middle of a global pandemic that has restricted our ability to travel and limited the time we've been able to spend with family & friends (including my aging parents). :(  It's a good thing we love our condo because we've spent a lot of time here over the past 8 months...! 
  • And... I'm still here, still blogging! And still very grateful for all that blogging has brought to my life these past 13 years. :) 
I don't want to think too much about what might happen over the next 13 years... (for one thing, I will be... HOW OLD??!!). If the past 13 to 22 years has taught me anything, it's that life is unpredictable and we can never know what the future has in store for us, both for better and not-so-good. 

But I will never regret hitting "post" that October night, 13 years ago!  :)  

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I love how you frame your anniversary, marking the differences between then and now. I love love loved this: "we sold our house of unfulfilled dreams," what a great way to put it. I think that's such a healing thing for us, too.

    Thank you-- that you for years of sharing your story, your thoughts, your wisdom, your reading life. You were one of the lights showing me a way out of darkness when resolving childfree. Your words and stories were so helpful in seeing a CNBC life as something that could be embraced, as something beautiful, as something survivable and ultimately thrive-able. And I love your reading reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you hit "post" 13 years ago, too! Happy blogoversary, you teenage blog, you!

    What a ways you have traveled, Loribeth, and what a great reminder that life has a way of surprising us. These retrospectives are so important.

    I'm grateful to the small but might community of long-time ALI bloggers who have told their stories and helped me understand various perspectives. Thanks for being her and staying here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's a lot of change - I hope I'll be around to read the next 13 years of your musings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very very glad you hit "post" too. Yours was one of the first blogs I found, via Pamela's I think, and I was so pleased to find someone about my age blogging about life without children.

    Don't go crazy now you're a teenager!

    ReplyDelete